This Christian documentary film The Real Roots of the Emergent Church will take an honest look at the leaders of the Emerging Church movement such as Brian McLaren, Doug Pagitt, Tony Jones, Rob Bell, Tony Campolo, Steve Chalke, Peter Rollins, Dan Kimball, Richard Rohr, Phyllis Tickle, Spencer Burke and others. Who are they and what are they teaching? Become familiar with the postmodern Emergent Church and its popular tactic of literary deconstruction applied to the Bible. This film takes an in-depth look at what the Emerging Church believes concerning the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Scriptures, absolute truth, hell, homosexuality, mysticism, contemplative prayer, other religions, and eschatology in comparison to the Bible. Much more than candles and couches!
Subjects of this film were contacted for direct interviews. Doug Pagitt, Tony Jones and others were contacted in April 2011. No response. At a Love Wins book signing, Rob told us he would be willing to do an interview and to contact his church which was done several times with no response. We do not fault them for that knowing they are all probably very busy people. But for this reason we have resorted to their own public statements. This film is our way of joining the conversation.
Disclaimer: Not sure why Mark Driscoll is included in this grouping, as he is most certainly upholding a very orthodox doctrine (unless it is for his methodology of how he leads his youthful church (coffe shop in church lobby,etc) or the fact that he talks about sex from the pulpit of his church – Mars Hill, located in what Driscoll calls “the most secular city in America” (Seattle). Or because he identified with the movement for a short time as a postmodern church. You can watch a short video of Mark Driscoll’s views here. He certainly is not ambiguous on any of the orthodox doctrines (wrote a book on Doctrine) and disagrees with most of Rob Bell and Brian MacLaren’s views.
Participants: Eric Ludy, Joe Schimmel, Chris Rosebrough, Bob DeWaay, Gary Gilley, Ray Yungen, Robert LeBus, Jay Peters, James Sundquist, and Elliott Nesch.
- Mark Driscoll – Who is Jesus? Qwest Stadium Sermon Snippet
- Martin Bashir -Interviewed about “Love Wins” (Part 1-4, 40 minutes)
- Panel Discussion of Rob Bell’s book ‘Love wins’ at Gospel Coalition 2011
- University Indoctrination- ‘Christianity plagiarizes Mithraism’
- Love Wins: A ‘Theological’ Conversation on Rob Bell’s New Book at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Mithra? Attis? Really, Rob Bell? by Dr. Oakley (Review of troubling Nooma video)
- Rob Bell vs. Adrian Warnock Video Debate – Heaven & Hell with Justin Brierly
- Hell Yes, Hell No: A Response to Rob Bell & Love Wins, Bobby Conway